Thursday, August 30, 2012

Chowder, CHOWDER! Say it SAY IT.

I can't even say the word chowder without this running through my head. I've never made fish soup of any kind but I had to do a knife sharpening demo in a fish shop today. They had a tub of salmon heads and frames which I scored five of for a few bucks. A random and cursory google search and I had a rough idea of what I wanted to get to.

I sweated off a leek, red and brown onion, garlic, added some brown sugar and semi carmelised it to give it a bit of sweetness. In my big pot I dumped the frames, onions, garlic, bay and carrots and simmered it into some fish stock. Smelt fantastic. In with the onions went some stock, potatoes and mushrooms. While that simmered away I made a roux to thicken it up. I was supposed to do that at the onion stage but forgot. I do that.

Once the potatoes were soft in went some of my home smoked salmon. This particular piece had been cured a bit too much and was a touch salty. That's why I had that sweet onion and leek base. Finally I pulled out the big vat of my fresh milk and scooped out all the double cream and chucked that in as well. Oh and some white wine. I put some of that in too. After sampling for quality control.

It was fan bloody tastic. The salmon was nicely salty and it had this real richness, which might have been from all the cream. So for a small amount of cash we had a rich, tasty soup as the wind rattled over the Lantanaland hills.

6 comments:

  1. Making a chowder using fish is incredible! A must try. Thanks for this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. With havin so much content and articles do you
    ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright infringement?
    My blog has a lot of completely unique content I've either authored myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my permission. Do you know any solutions to help protect against content from being stolen? I'd definitely appreciate it.
    Also see my webpage > stopping acid reflux

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ηi there! ӏ know thiѕ is κіnԁa off topic however
    , I'd figured I'd ask. Would yοu be intеrested іn traԁing lіnks
    or maybe guеѕt authоring a blog ρoѕt οr vice-veгsа?
    My site coverѕ a lot οf the ѕame ѕubjects as yours аnԁ I
    believe ωe could grеatlу benеfit from
    еach otheг. If уou are interested feеl freе to send me an
    emаil. I look fогward to hearing frοm you!
    Wonderful blog by the way!

    My web-site: lloyd irvin

    ReplyDelete
  4. My programmer is tryіng to conνіncе me to mоve to .
    net from PHP. I have alwaуs disliked the idea because of the сostѕ.
    But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using Movable-type
    on numerous wеbsites for about a year and am worгied about switсhing to another ρlаtform.
    Ι have heard fantаѕtіc
    thіngs about blogengіne.net. Is there
    a wаy I can transfer all my woгdpress ρosts into it?
    Any hеlp wοuld be greаtly aρprеcіаted!


    Feel free to surf tо my web ѕite іnternational reputation management ()

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love chowder! Looks crazy good! This reminds me of the time I used to cook all the time, before I got too busy managing a Vietnamese Restaurant in Capalaba area. You just inspired me cook this weekend!

    ReplyDelete